download Mastguru Android App
  • Current Affairs 5th December 2017

    Updated : 05-Dec-2017
    Current Affairs 5th December 2017

    Current Affairs 5th December 2017 - Important Points

    • Veteran Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor dies on - 4th December 2017
    •  World Social Protection Report 2017-2019 released by - ILO
    • US Supreme Court allows full enforcement of President Trump's travel ban on - 4th December 2017
    • UAE, Saudi Arabia to form new cooperation group on - 5th December 2017
    • Jupiter’s Moon may have similar plate tectonics as Earth - As per new Discovery

    Current Affairs 5th December 2017 - Details

    Veteran Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor dies on - 4th December 2017

    Evergreen 70s bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor passed away on 4th December 2015 due a prolonged illness at the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai. He was 79 years old.
    Shashi Kapoor was reknown for his dialogue 'Mere Paas Maa Hai'.

    Important Highlights

    • He was born on 18th March 1938 into film actor Prithviraj Kapoor’s family, Shashi Kapoor started the theatre at the age of 4. He acted in various plays directed and produced by his father.
    • He started his acting profession as a child artiste in Raj Kapoor's films ‘Aag’ and ‘Awara’ in the late '40s.
    • As a leading actor, Kapoor made his debut in 1961 in Yash Chopra’s movie 'Dharamputra', a film that remains live till date with its portrayal of the Partition and communalism.
    • Few of his memorable movies are "Deewar", Waqt, Jab Jab Phool Khile, Kanyadaan, Sharmilee, Kabhie Kabhie, "Namak Halal", Satyam Shivam Sundaram and many others.
    • He also acted in various offbeat films like ‘Chaar Diwari’ and ‘Prem Patra’.
    • During his theatre days he met his wife Jennifer Kendal, an English actress.
    • He was among the one to act earliest in international movies including The Householder and Shakespeare Wallah, Bombay Talkie in 1970 and Heat and Dust in 1982, Siddhartha in1972, Sammy and Rosie Get Laid in 1987 and The Deceivers in 1988.
    • Shashi Kapoor also performed the lead part in the British film 'A Matter of Innocence'.
    • In totally, he acted in more than 175 films including some international projects also.
    • He was honored with Padma Bhushan in 2011 and Dada Saheb Phalke award in year 2015.

     World Social Protection Report 2017-2019 released by - ILO

    The International Labour Organization issued the World Social Protection Report 2017-2019 in November 2017. The World Social Protection Report informs that only 45% of the global population is effectively covered by minimum 1 social benefit, while the remaining 55% that is 4 billion people are remained unprotected.

    Highlights of World Social Protection Report 2017-2019-

    • Only 29% of the population enjoys access to social protection, while the remaining 71% population is not or relatively protected.
    • It recommends a rise of public disbursements on social protection to expand social protection coverage, mainly in Africa, Asia and the Arab States.
    • It highlights that universal social security contributes to eradicating poverty, decreasing inequality, encouraging economic growth and attaining the Sustainable Development Goals.
    • Only 35% of children around the world enjoy effective access to social security. Around 1.3 billion children that is two thirds of children globally are not protected and many of them live in Africa and Asia.
    • Only 1.1% of GDP is utilized on child and family benefits for children under 0-14.
      Cash shifts for children have increased in low- and middle-income nations over the past decades.
    • However, coverage and enjoyment levels still are insufficient.
    • Only 21.8% of non-working employees are covered by unemployment advantages, while 152 million unemployed workers left without coverage.
    • 27.8% of persons with various disabilities worldwide receive a disability advantage.
      68% of people more than retirement age receive old-age pension, which is related with the expansion of both non-contributory and contributory pensions in many nations.
    • Long-term health care still debars more than 48% of the world’s population, with women in small comparison affected.
    • Only 5.6% of the population resides in Nations that provide long-term care coverage based on national legislation.

     US Supreme Court allows full enforcement of President Trump's travel ban on - 4th December 2017

    The US Supreme Court governed  on 4th December 2017 that the travel ban imposed on 6 Muslim Nations by President Donald Trump can now go completely into effect.
    Out of total bench of 9 justices, 7 justices raised the ban imposed by lower courts on the policy. Only Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor declared that the President's order should remain effective.
    However, the directive against travelers from Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen still faces legal problems. The new restriction also bars travelers from North Korea and Venezuela, but they were not suffered by the injunctions.
    The justices of the US Supreme Court proceed just after the American Civil Liberties Union, which is prime one of the lawsuits, sent a letter to the court raising their point to anti-Muslim videos that were tweeted by Donald Trump.

    Did you know?
    The recent travel ban released by President Donald bars different people from 8 countries- Syria, Libya, Iran, Yemen, Chad, Somalia, North Korea and Venezuela. 6 of the nations have Muslim populations.
    However, Federal Judges in Maryland and Hawaii closed the implementation of this ban for foreign nationals who have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with people in the US such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, grandchildren, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews and cousins.

    UAE, Saudi Arabia to form new cooperation group on - 5th December 2017

    The UAE on 5th December 2017 declared that it has designed a new economic and partnership group with Saudi Arabia. The new class would be separate from the Gulf Cooperation Council.
    The statement was made by Emirati Foreign Ministry, just hours before of a GCC meeting in Kuwait. The new ‘joint cooperation committee’ has got approval from UAE’s ruler and president, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
    As per the Emirati ministry, the new committee is allocated to cooperate and coordinate between the UAE and Saudi Arabia in all military, political, economic, trade and cultural areas, as well as others, in the interest of the 2 Nations.'
    Did you know?

    • The UAE and Saudi Arabia have formed even-closer ties in previous years.
    • Emirati troops are majorly involved in the Saudi-led war in Yemen.
    • Abu Dhabi's powerful crown prince, Mohammad bin Zayed Al Nahyan is also assumed to have a close relationship with Saudi Arabia's young Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

    Jupiter’s Moon may have similar plate tectonics as Earth - As per new Discovery

    As per the new discovery, the icy shell of Jupiter’s moon Europa may have plate tectonics same to those on Earth, which could have chief implications for the possibility of life in the ocean thought to exist under the moon's exterior.
    The study utilized computer modeling to show that subduction, when a tectonic plate sips underneath other and sinks deep into a planet's inside, is physically feasible in Europa's ice shell as well. The study was issued in the Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets.
    The discovery support earlier studies of Europa's surface geology that found areas where the moon's ice shell was well-known to be expanding in a same way to the mid-ocean spreading ridges on Earth.
    Talking on the development, the author of the study, Brandon Johnson informed that they have evidence of this extension and unroll, which lifts a question on where does the matter go.
    He further informed that on Earth, the answer is subduction areas. So going by the similar reasoning, subduction could be going on Europa as well.
    "If indeed there's life in that sea, subduction offers a way to provide the nutrients it would require," Johnson said.

We are improving Commenting System, Soon it will be live. Thanks !
    Mastguru Youtube Channel

    Videos @mastguru

    Get Free Current Affairs and Govt Jobs Alerts in your mailbox

    To Appreciate Our Effort, Please Like Us